Beverly Nelson is the creator of Stand Up For Caregivers, which aims to help protect and advocate for the
health and well being of adult caregivers.
When you spend hours on end caring for others, there’s very little time left for yourself. If you’re looking for the perfect gift for your favorite caregiver, look no further. Here, we’ve put together a list of the top 5 gifts that will offer time and tranquility for the caregiver in your life.
1. Massage. According to the Mayo Clinic, the benefits of massage go much deeper than muscle relaxation. Studies have shown that therapeutic massage may reduce myofascial pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, headaches, and digestive disorders. Massage may also help with stress-related insomnia as well as anxiety by producing feelings of comfort, care, and human connection. Most massage clinics provide options ranging from half an hour to two hours. Costs vary depending on the type of massage being given.
2. Dog walking. There is a good chance your caregiver goes home to a canine companion each night. Having a pet can provide emotional support and reduce stress levels, which are both issues for people in the healthcare field as well as family care providers. For the dog lover on your list, consider a years’ worth of dog walking services, grooming, or a monthly pet subscription service, such as for food or treats. Any of these gifts will help your recipient better care for his or her four-legged friend. As an added benefit, having someone take over time-consuming task like walking and grooming will offer your recipient time to focus on other interests.
3. Weekend trip. Mini vacations have a slew of mental and physical health benefits that can help your caregiver relax and recharge. Health magazine claims engaging in enjoyable leisure activities can actually improve a person’s stress levels, which will have a positive effect on their overall health. Regardless of where you live, there are plenty of weekend getaways that will make a great gift. Consider New York, Philadelphia, Santa Monica Beach, or San Francisco, which are four of the top five cities on US News & World Report’s Best Weekend Getaways list.
4. Voice controlled smart home hub. A smart home hub offers a number of conveniences for your gift recipient including setting reminders, controlling appliances, and increasing a home’s security. Devices such as Amazon’s Echo and Google Home offer hands-free operation, which is invaluable with today’s busy lifestyles. These devices may be connected to a number of other smart home tools including security cameras. An internet-connected device may even be used to call for help during an emergency.
5. Housecleaning/errand running services. One of the greatest gifts you can give is simply the gift of time. A care provider with young children may appreciate babysitting services provided by a background-checked childcare professional. Grocery delivery is another excellent gift that can give your caregiver back a few hours each week and help them better plan healthy and nutritious meals for their own family. Likewise, hiring a housekeeper will buy your recipient precious hours to spend with family and friends.
Gift giving is a challenge no matter who is on your list. But, when he or she is responsible for your comfort and security (or that of a loved one), there is no greater way to show your gratitude than by providing them an opportunity to indulge in a little self-care. Whether you give a massage, dog walking services, or hands-free, smart home device, your recipient will appreciate that you’ve considered their well-being this holiday season.